When going away on holiday for an extended period of time:
- Alert neighbours of your absence – Let a few trusted neighbours know of your travel plans so they can deal with any emergencies. A good neighbour will keep a closer eye out on your home. Perhaps they can park their car in your driveway if possible.
- Give the appearance that your house is occupied – Professional burglars search neighbourhoods looking for homeowners who are away from their home for an extended period of time. They monitor properties in order to strike when a home is empty.
- Buy automatic timers for your lights and program them to turn on and off in different rooms at times that match night and day patterns whilst you’re away.
- Do not allow uncollected mail to build up. Ask a neighbour or someone you trust to collect it for youon a regular basis, or redirect through Australia Post. Cancel or put a hold to any regular scheduled deliveries you may have.
- Ask a neighbour to use your rubbish bin from time to time and to put it out and bring it back on bin collection day.
- Turn down the telephone ringer volume and turn off any alarm clocks so that people outside your home cannot hear them for extended periods of time.
- If your grass is likely to grow unusually long while you are away, arrange beforehand to have someone mow it in your absence. Check your automated sprinkler system is working if you have one, or consider asking someone to water your garden.
- Resist the urge to post on social media – Although it may be tempting, posting about your travel plans and holiday on social media can be an easy tip off that your home is empty.Wait to post photos from your trip until you get home.
If our suggestions have identified any security weaknesses, these should be addressed at your earliest convenience. Being vigilant about home security will dramatically reduce your chances of being a victim of burglary. Even if you think you live in a safe neighborhood, we cannot stress enough how important it is to have good home security.
For more advice on home security, please speak to one of our experts on 0477 SPYPRO (779776)
or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org